Friday, February 02, 2007

IMAX, boxing & books.

Finally, I had the opportunity to sample the IMAX experience in Berjaya Times Square yesterday (1st February 2007). While the movie itself is fairly stereotypical (Open Season in this instance) the whole '3D-ness' makes it all worthwhile. No, none of that crappy, duo-toned, migraine-inducing so-called 3D glasses to be found. Such misery should only be wished upon your most hated foes.

The cinema people did hand out a pair of goggles...a neutral-colored one (thank god), huge enough to cover almost half of my face. Kind of like Rocket Man-era Elton John. On top of my existing glasses, it was an impossible task for me to scratch an itch on the bridge of my nose. 'Transformers' and 'Ghost rider' trailers were shown prior to the movie...I had zero hopes for the former, and slight interest for the latter. While the idea of Nicolas Cage being Ghost Rider is quite...strange to me, Peter Fonda as Mephisto & Sam Elliot as Caretaker just looks SO right. This movie won't likely be doing SpiderMan-level grosses, but I suspect it won't be a turkey either.

While on the topics of movies, I can't wait to see Rocky Balboa. Finally, a Rocky movie to be watched on the big screen. The teasers I saw last year gave me goosebumps, and reviews had been favorable. Between Rocky, Hajime No Ippo (boxing anime) and EA Fight Night Round 3 (XBox 360 boxing game) I become a boxing nut again after a very long period of not caring about the sport. Actually, I loved any fighting sports be it martial arts, boxing, MMA, Wrestling...you name it. My attention just shifted to one or the other over the years.

Before the movie, I stopped by Borders to peruse some potential book purchases. I ended up buying 'The Hardest Game' (a book depicting historic events in boxing), 'Essential Dr. Strange - Vol. One' and a submission wrestling/MMA book. While mentally calculating how much I had to pay for the credit card bills now, I made myself look stupid by forgetting my purchased books at the counter. Had some Italian for lunch - fettucine carbonara & patate el forno. Or whatever the heck those was, not sure I spelled those correctly. Tasted ok lah.

Head home after the movie, played some DOA4(Dead or Alive 4) in the late evening. This game turns out to be ok...it's no Tekken, but it's quite a decent fighting game. So ends my 1st February adventure.

3 comments:

黒 NOIR 白 BLANC said...

I actually went to the IMAX theater two years ago with my five cousins from Manila. They all enjoyed it! Unfortunately the pair of glasses they gave me BROKE while during the show. It's bad enough to hear Tom Hanks acting out more than 5 roles in the Polar Express and to tire out 1 hand holding out the cheap piece of plastic nearly an hour. I still dunno if i want a 360 for C&C3 or just buy a new PC.... hmmm....

Izzat Hafiz said...

Hmm. I'd say just buy/upgrade pc. I got a feeling, on the console gaming front, PS3 will actually do well...in a few years time, that is :D

IMAX has spoiled my cinematic experience. I can never watch a normal cinema movie again.

jeromoo said...

I have never watched any shows on IMAX yet!!! Argh! I'm missing something here!

I think I agree with you that PS3 might do well in the future once the price goes down and the full potential of games on the powerful console is finally realized (God of War 3 on PS3!). But I have no time to play at all lately. Been occupying myself doing some works and exercising and watching lots and lots of DVDs!