Monday, June 09, 2008

No Price for Awesome

*Po the Panda had beaten up the thugs in the shop*

Shop Owner: "how could we ever repay you?"
Po: "you can't put a price on awesome."

...or so it goes in the opening scene of Dreamworks' Kung Fu Panda. Po the Panda (Jack Black) dreams of fighting alongside the Furious Five, the famous warriors of the land. Po's so awesome that the enemies were blinded by his sheer...um, awesomeness.

If that sounded way too good to be true...well it is, as the Panda awakes from his pretty 2d dream into the reality of being the son & sole heir to Mr.Ping's (a duck, haha) noodle shop business. Po gaze longingly towards the Jade Temple, craves for something beyond his little world.

Meanwhile, in the Jade Temple, all is not well...as the ailing Master Oogway confers with his student/peer Master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman) about his visions - that the threat of Tai Lung is looming, and only the destined 'Dragon Warrior' would be able to stop him. Who will be the chosen one? Will the combined might of the Furious Five enough against Tai Lung? The fate of the land may very well rests in a certain panda's fists...hands....er, paws, or whatever you may choose to call it.

I watched this movie on Saturday 7th June, 6pm @ The Mines TGV Cinema. I have looked forward to it for some time, and also I really needed to lighten up from something that happened earlier in the day. If this movie sucked, then my weekend would've been a total wreck. Plus, a child seated behind me amused herself by frequently whacking my head with a balloon during the ads. It may not resulted in any brain damage, but it certainly didn't help to lighten the mood.

I am a fan of kung fu flicks & I'm always down for a good laugh. On both counts, Kung Fu Panda succeeded in my view. It's a highly enjoyable show (despite the balloon assault) and I heartily recommended it. The humor, the action scenes, the voice acting...there is really nothing bad I could say about any of them. The story is classic kung fu movie plot, through and through. Just sit back, and enjoy the awesomeness.

No comments: